Wednesday, November 4, 2020

A House Divided (November 8, 2020)

I have to tell you…I’m not a huge fan of politics, politicking or even, really, talking about political things.  It’s not that I’m “scared” to have these types of conversations, or that I believe that politics (or all politicians) are inherently evil…at least I pray they are not, but if I’m completely honest and transparent, I will admit the truth.  I don’t like politics.

Now, every aspect of politics does not have the following, and all politicians do not behave in this way, but here are some of the things that I don’t like about politics, the political process, and some politicians.


I don’t like the maneuvering.

I don’t like the belittling.

I don’t like the disrespect towards fellow human beings.

I don’t like the feeling that what is being said is meant to “tickle my ears.”  (That what is being said is just being said to please me…not that the person actually means it.)

I don’t like the dishonesty.

I don’t like the “show”, the “putting on a face.” 

I don’t like the distrust.

I don’t like the constant pushing and attempts to sway opinion.

I don’t like the financial investment that is made in order for a politician to win a race, even small ones, let alone large ones.  If all of that money can be raised for a politician, why couldn’t it be raised and spent towards another issue/problem?  (Theoretical Question…please don’t send me answers!)

I don’t like the pomp.
I don’t like the pride.

I don’t like the power trips.

I don’t like the greed.

I don’t like when “my” candidate loses.
I don’t like when a “bad” candidate wins.


The list could go on and on and on.  For me, there are a lot of negative things about politics, and I’m not directing this at any particular party.  This is a general, blanket statement about how I feel about the whole shebang. That being said, I am able to come up with the positives of politics/politicians/etc. as well.  The privilege of voting.  The need for leadership.  The blessing of democracy.  The people who actually enter politics to do the job of serving the people they are appointed to lead.  Etc.  Still, the fact remains, I’m not a fan.  Want to know one of my biggest reasons?


I don’t like the division.

  

I don’t like the division!


Right now, as I type on Wednesday, the results are still out on the presidential race.  For some, as you read, maybe they have come in, and you will already know who won.  But for me, at this moment, I have no idea.  It’s not clear.  It is a close race.  A very close race.  Neither candidate has secured enough electoral votes, and it is not feasible to call who will win at this point.


What is clear?  There is division.  A lot of it.


We all know the division didn’t happen just today, as if this election magically caused it to occur.  It’s been evident for a long time and it has been especially highlighted as of late.  You see it in all of the pre-election banter.  You see it on TV.  You read about it in the news.  You see it as you drive down the street and look at political signs.  It’s present in every newspaper, social media feed, and anywhere else you look.  Red vs. Blue.  Donkey vs. Elephant.  “Good” vs. “Evil” where each side thinks they are “good” and the other is “evil”.  All of that and we haven’t even spoken about the other options, the other parties that have attempted to get some skin into the game…although they have mostly been unsuccessful.  


Division.  It is present.  It is constant.  It is everywhere.


Each side pushes, “Make a choice.”  “Stand with the ‘winning’ side.”  “ Vote for me!”  “If you vote for the other person, well…all manner of bad things will happen.”


Constant fighting, constant pitting against one another, constant “sides” and competition, and winning and losing, and on and on and on and on.  


Constant division.


That’s one of the main reasons that I don’t like politics.  I don’t like division.


Now, I’m not naïve.  I know that people come from a large variety of backgrounds, have a vast amount of experiences, and arrive at politics with a huge array of opinions on what is “right,” what is “wrong,” what is “best,” what is “worst.”  I know that it is good to have a wide variety of people present at the political table to have conversation and offer different points of view…that too much of the same way of thinking, the same set of circumstances and opinions can actually lead to trouble.  I also know that there are no immediate signs of this division ending soon, of people uniting and coming together politically.  Still, the fact remains.  I don’t like division, and there are reasons for it.


President Lincoln famously said, “A house divided against itself cannot stand.”  In the time when Lincoln was speaking, he was pointing to a division that was different than the current one we face.  There were clear geographical lines…North vs. South.  You could physically walk from the South to the North or vice versa and generally have a different set of rules/thoughts/expectations, specifically concerning slavery.  In some ways, the split was clearer, and Lincoln rightly advised that if the nation didn’t come together, it would be ripped apart.  The question, then, becomes…if the division is different, does Lincoln’s warning still hold water?  Does it still apply?


Well, it turns out that President Lincoln wasn’t relying on his own wisdom in this case.  Instead, he drew this reasoning from Scripture.  Jesus makes the same case in the Gospel of Mark.


If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.  If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand.

~Mark 3:24


In this case, Jesus was arguing against some teachers of the law who were accusing him of driving out demons with the power of Beelzebul, of driving out Satan by the power of Satan.  Jesus pointed to the absurdity of this argument.  Again, a different context, a different set of circumstances.  But, does the wisdom of the advice hold true?  Does the argument still have weight?  Can the words of Lincoln, which turn out to be the words of Jesus, be applied to the division we now see?


Yes.  They most certainly can be applied.  A house divided cannot stand.  This is true.  If there is too much division on a sports team, they will loose.  If there is too much division in a marriage, divorce will happen.  If there is too much division in a church, it will split and fall apart.  If there is too much division in a country…well.


Fortunately, we have not yet fallen as a nation, and there is that unknown variable of exactly how much division is too much division.  After all, there can be disagreement and variance of opinion without causing a split, an outright division.  For example, I can root for Ohio State.  My son can root for Penn State.  There is absolutely no loss of love or division within our family over this difference.  Our unity as a household is based on something much deeper than college football.  Likewise, Christa can think that Cherry Coke is awful, and I can find it delicious (even though I’m not drinking it right now) without compromising our marriage.  We can disagree on many things without being divisive, but there can also be that point that tips the tables too far.  If one of us decides that our faith in Jesus is no longer valid, or that our wedding vows were no longer applicable…that type of difference of opinion, that type of division would be much more difficult for our marriage to withstand.  That type of division would be more likely to lead to a split.  


Within our country, there is a lot of room for disagreement.  There is a lot of room for difference of opinion.  There is a lot of room for difference of political affiliation and ways one chooses to vote.  However, there is also a real risk of going too far, of politics turning divisive, of our divided house falling.  I hope that you know that I’m not using this “scare tactics” or “fear-mongering,” but an honest look at what Jesus taught:  A house divided against itself will fall.   


My hope?  That we will continue to stand. 


Whenever the election results are announced, there will be a large group of people who will be happy.  There will be a large group of people who will be unhappy.  There will be those who feel like they “won.”  There will be those who feel like they “lost.”  There will be those who feel like the nation will be on the right path, and those who will feel like it will be on the wrong one.  This will be the case…regardless of which person is placed into the office.


In the midst of all of this, let us do our part to fight against division.  Let’s do our part to fight that we might stand.


Need some suggestions for how?  Let’s consider a few things, a few examples to follow.


The Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37).  When a member of a vastly different political party falls to the side of the road injured, who helps?  The party leader, the model citizen or the opponent from the outlying, opposing party?  Be like the good Samaritan.  Be a good neighbor.  If your neighbor had the wrong sign in their yard, voted the wrong way, and were even belligerent about it, you are still able to be “neighborly.”  Respond to your “neighbors,” no matter their political affiliation, in a manner that reflects the love portrayed in the Gospel.  Be kind.  Be compassionate.  Be caring.  


Watch Your Words (Psalm 19:14).  The Psalmist ends the 19th Psalm with this:  

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.


This isn’t just an example of the way that a Psalm can end.  It is also sound advice for how we should use our words in general.  Our words should be pleasing to God.  What we say, what our hearts meditate upon, should be honorable to God.  Be like the Psalmist.  Honor God with your words.  Honor God with the words that come out of your mouth.  Honor God with the words that you type on your screen…even your phone screen.  Honor God.  If you feel like you won this election, honor God.  If you feel like you lost this election, honor God.


Remember Your Hope (Psalm 39:7).  David, the supreme political ruler of his time, the king who reigned on the throne, did not place his hope in his own abilities.  Instead, he relied on the Lord.


And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?  My only hope is in you.


Our hope is not in Mr. or Mrs. _________.  Our hope can only be in the Lord.  Remember your hope.  Put it in the Lord.  Do not place your only hope in politics or political affiliation.  Sure, people may be used by God, but our hope is in God alone.


Pray (1 Timothy 2:1-2, Philippians 4:6-7). The Bible is full of advice to pray, including the directive to pray for those in authority.  Though I may not care for politics, I am still charged to pray for our political leaders.  Though you may or may not like who wins the election, you are still charged to pray for them.  Pray.  In all circumstances.  For every occasion.  Make prayer like breathing.  Constant.  Continual.


Friend, this is a difficult season on a whole bunch of levels.  I don’t need to tell you that.  Even in the midst of it, know this.  God is good.  God loves you deeply.  God has made it possible for you to have a relationship with Him through His Son, Jesus Christ.  God has not left us alone but has given us the Holy Spirit.  No matter what trials, tribulations, joys, successes, defeats, wins, losses we may face, God will not fail.  Seek God.  His Kingdom.  His righteousness.  Trust God.  His Kingdom.  His righteousness.  Also, please be a good neighbor.  Watch your words.  Put your hope in God.  Pray.  In that way, we may be used to bring the love and hope of Jesus to a world that desperately needs him, especially now as there is so much threatening to divide us.


~ Pastor Chris