Monday, August 2, 2021

The Olympics (August 8, 2021)

Have you been watching the Olympics?  

I know.  They’ve come on an odd year.  Something feels off about them being in 2021 and yet they are still called the “2020 Olympic Games.”  It does make it kind of weird to watch them.


I know.  NBC's “prime time” showing of the Olympics often plays events that are pre-recorded.  Because this is the case, there are some people who cannot keep their big yappers shut.  Details are often leaked, even by major news outlets.  The prime time viewing can seem less consequential and dramatic as you already know what happens.  Even right now I know something that will happen this evening, and I am disappointed by such knowledge.


I know.  The Olympics have historically come under criticism for a variety of reasons…for their expense, for their waste (have you ever seen the photos of old Olympic venues deteriorating?), for doping scandals, for a “win at all cost” mentality that can exist, for host nations that have a history of being cruel to their own people, for ________.


I know.  There are lots of reasons to refrain from watching.  Tired of the political nature of so many things.  Tired of the commercialization.  Tired of the scandals.  Tired of the lack of fans in auditoriums.  Tired of hearing the plug for Microsoft Teams and how they are connecting the Olympians and their families (even though this is a good thing that they can connect).  Or being just plain tired and not wanting to stay up late to watch them.  


There are lots of reasons to decide to not watch the Olympics, and I am perfectly fine with your decision if you choose not to watch them ever again.  That decision will likely not be detrimental to your spiritual health.  For me, though, for my family, we are watching, and we are watching a lot.


We’ve watched people flip and twist their bodies in ways that should be impossible during gymnastics competitions.

We’ve watched athletes hit target after target after target in shooting competitions.

We’ve witnessed people imitate Flipper with dolphin kicks that are über impressive.

We’ve seen people run 100 meters in under 10 seconds as if that is no big deal.
We’ve seen people hit shuttlecocks and ping pong balls and tennis balls and volleyballs faster and harder and better than should be humanly possible.

We’ve seen hurdles, high jumps, long jumps.

We’ve witnessed people running and biking long distances as well as short.

We’ve seen people surpass any reasonable expectation of them.

We’ve seen people make mistakes at just the wrong moment.

We’ve seen joy.

We’ve seen pain.

We’ve witnessed compassion and sportsmanship.

We’ve watched the Olympics.  


We’ve enjoyed seeing the competition.  We’ve enjoyed seeing people push themselves beyond normal limits, obtaining medals and world records and incredible achievements.  We’ve enjoyed celebrating the victories and cheering on those who have given their best efforts to their particular sport.  We’ve also enjoyed seeing the sportsmanship, the celebrations of teammates and competitors congratulating one another.  We’ve enjoyed a large part of these Olympic Games, and we plan to continue to enjoy them until this Olympic season is done.


Though that is the case, there are certainly some things that are less than enjoyable.  (Many of which have been listed above.)  There are also instances when we are sad or empathetic or feel disappointment for people.  We have seen the pain of those who trip early in a race, those who stumble, those who fall.  We’ve witnessed the agony of those who are injured or hurt and can no longer compete.  We’ve seen the frustration, the despair, the tears, the heartache.  


Throughout these Olympics, we have seen some good, some bad and everything in between.  Highs and lows.  Joy and despair.  Victory and defeat.  We have seen some remarkable accomplishments as well as some people who fell short of expectations.  A whole gambit of things have been on display, lifetime achievements, personal bests, world records, amazing feats of human ability right alongside of letdowns, agony, and personal despair.  But do you want to know the thing that stood out the most for me?  Do you want to know what keeps bouncing around in my head after watching these Games?


One statement.


Repeated by many of the athletes.


“I have worked my whole life for this.”


“I have worked my whole life for this.”


An entire life dedicated to one moment, to one Olympic Games, to one medal.  


“I have worked my whole life for this.”


For many who made a statement such as this, it seemed as if the medal around their necks symbolized that their effort, their dedication, the sacrifice was worth it.  It was as if they were saying, “I have worked my whole life for this, and look what I accomplished.  A gold.  A silver.  A bronze.  See!  It was all worth it.” 


But was it?  


Really?

I appreciate the dedication.  I appreciate the accomplishment.  I appreciate the sacrifice, especially when compared with so many who haven’t worked at anything other than being comfortable, but is that really all that there is to strive after for these athletes?  A hunk of medal and some passing fame and recognition?


Records will be broken.  Names will be forgotten.  Medals can be lost or stolen or sold to a pawn shop when times get tough.  New people will step in to compete, to entertain.  The victories will pass.  How will these folks feel in 4 years from now?  8?  12?  48?  Will it be worth it then?


“I worked my whole life for this.” 


And that’s just the victors, those who have achieved a medal, from those that the media bothered to interview.  But what about the ones who had been defeated?  What about that fourth place guy or gal who didn’t make the podium?  Or backing it up a step, what about the ones who didn’t even make the finals?  What about the ones who were eliminated in “pool play” or the early qualifiers?  Hadn’t they worked their whole lives for this as well?  Hadn’t at least some of them dedicated their lives to being the best possible athlete that they could be?  Backing it up even a step further, what about those who didn’t even make the team?  The alternates?  The backups?  Those who had been cut at trials?  Hadn’t some of these people worked their whole lives for this too?  Was it worth it to them?  Was it worth it to the one who fell before they even got started?  Was it worth it to the one who jumped the gun early and got disqualified?  Was it worth it to the one who just missed out on making the team and will have no real shot of making the team the next time around?


“I have worked my whole life for this.”


When you think about it, it’s sad really.  I know that there are other things in life that even the most dedicated of athletes do and experience, but it is still disheartening that people choose to dedicate the vast amount of their lives to one goal:  athletic success.  Sure, they might be the fastest swimmer for a while, but it won’t last.  Someone younger, faster, more gifted will eventually come along.  Sure, they might have the medal now and feel the euphoria of an Olympic victory (something that I will never taste), but that moment will be fleeting.  Even the most successful American male swimmer of these Games is only taking three weeks off before he’s back in the pool to start training once more, dedicating his life that he might reach that pinnacle once again.


“I have worked my whole life for this.”

 

This leads me to my question:


What are you working your whole life for?


Success?  Comfort?  Family?  Friends?  Has it been money?  Power?  Business prowess?  Are you working toward anything at all, or are you just drifting by, hoping to make it through another day?

Paul says this:


For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

~ 1 Timothy 4:8


My hope?  That when asked that question, I would respond, “I am working my whole life for the kingdom of God.”  Whether I’m exercising or resting, whether I’m talking or being quiet, whether I’m watching the Olympics or competing in backyard badminton, my hope is that through each and every aspect of my life that I am working for the kingdom of God, that I am dedicated to the kingdom of God, that I am committed and sacrificing to the kingdom of God.  Put into action or set aside, on the playing field or in the stands, called up to the high dive or not even invited to the pool, I hope that in all of my life that I am dedicated to Jesus and to his kingdom, that I am being trained up in godliness which holds value for this life and for the life to come.


After all, Jesus says, 


“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

~ Matthew 6:19-20


“I have worked my whole life for this.”


What about you?


 

~ Pastor Chris